April 20, 2014

Cubist Sculpture

MTRPLS nr 1
Roland Borén is a sculptor and painter who makes things with odd perspectives, both amusing and slightly worrying. In a local newspaper he said that he is "researching the cube shape". I particularly like those Metropolis-like creations, they could have been part of Fritz Lang´s movie set, I think. Oh, I just saw now that they are titled, guess what: "MTRPLS nr 1" and "MTRPLS nr 7".

He exhibited last month in the Art Gallery at the Culture House and I went to see him twice. I did not disrespect the artwork, he actually invites people to "please have a seat!" in his wonky aluminium chair.

He has a great website where you can see more of his work. I do appreciate this kind of thing, I have not a small amount of nostalgia for the kind of hands-on industrialism that I grew up with; with a self-employed engineer father I have many tactile, emotional links to iron of different shapes and forms.


Full of cobwebs from the rusting process; no doubt years and years out of doors.

MTRPLS nr 7

3 comments:

  1. i googled him but couldn't find examples of his art anywhere close. I love the photo i found of "Incantatio". the perspective is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really halts you when you get closer to something and it turns out not to be what you thought. I should do a post sometime on "the rustball", a wonderful sculpture here in Luleå:
      http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Opposite_Sphere

      Delete